Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

600 Continuous Enrollment Exemption

Doctoral students who have started taking course 600 and wish to do an internship/practicum can petition to be exempted from the Continuous Enrollment requirement for up to three terms with maximum of 12 months at any time. The request should describe the nature of the internship/practicum and must include justification that the internship/practicum that is integral to the program.

Approval must be granted first by the student’s advisor, then the Department or the Unit followed by the Graduate School. The three semesters may be separate in time or back-to-back. Students whose petition is approved need not sign up for any course work while doing the internship/practicum except international students must always check with the Center for Global Engagement (CGE) to ensure that they remain compliant with their specific type of visa. The time limit to the degree is not extended as a result of an internship/practicum.


  1. Fill out all fields on the form, being certain to provide a description of the internship or practicum and a justification for the exemption in the appropriate fields. The justification should show how the internship or practicum is integral to your program.
  2. If you are an international student, be certain to check the box to indicate that you have checked with the Center for Global Engagement to ensure that you are in compliance with your type of visa.
  3. Acquire a letter of support from the internship/practicum site or supervisor to accompany this form. Upload this file where indicated.
  4. Be certain to provide the NetID of either your department head or your Director of Graduate Studies, so that they will receive a copy of the form to approve.
  5. Electronically sign where indicated
  6. Save the form in order to submit the form to your Director of Graduate Studies or department head and the Graduate School for approval.