The Evolving Practices in Teaching program provides opportunities to discuss teaching-related issues with new and experienced faculty and peers from across the university. This program does not take the place of programs in pedagogy that your department may offer but supplements that coursework. This program will, however, offer broader discussion of best practices in teaching than any one department or unit can offer and will introduce you to excellent teachers/mentors from across the disciplines.
Registration is currently open for the spring 2023 program and will remain open until January 20.
The program will offer seven sessions in the fall and spring. Individuals interested in the program need to register at the beginning of the term in which they plan to participate. Each participant will be required to attend and submit critiques of each session and a teaching portfolio. In addition, participants will be required to submit a short critique of each session they attend and, at the end of the program, a teaching portfolio that will be reviewed and returned to the participant for later use.
Upon successful completion of the program, you will receive a certificate acknowledging your participation in the program; this certificate should be a welcome addition to the dossier that you will need in applying for a teaching position or for retention/promotion. We hope you will take advantage of this opportunity and join us in the program.
Spring 2023 Sessions
- January 25—Introduction to Best Practices in Teaching: Some Things You Need to Know About UT Undergraduate Students
- February 1—Preparing a Good Syllabus and Constructing a Teaching Portfolio
- February 8—Available Resources for Student Academic Success
- February 15—How to Incorporate Writing Assignments and Oral Presentations in Your Classes
- February 22—Library and Office of Information Technology Resources for Teaching
- March 1—Inclusive in the Classroom: Teaching in the 21st Century
- March 8—Making Mentoring Work for You in Your Academic/Research/Professional Career