The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, fosters graduate education not only among domestic applicants, but across the world. While our international graduate students are an integral part of our diverse graduate student community, there are some specific requirements and resources to be aware of when applying to a program, negotiating your first days at UT, and living as a graduate student.
If you are applying to a program at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, from outside the United States, the Office of Graduate Admissions has provided an instructional guide for international applicants that can help with deadlines, English language certification, and declarations of funding.
Preparing for Your Arrival
As you begin preparing to travel to Knoxville, there are steps you’ll want to take to ensure that all goes smoothly. International Student and Scholar Services is ready to provide support for Incoming Students, and they have information like the following:
Life as a Graduate Student
Being part of the graduate student community at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, offers you the chance to interact with a very diverse and vibrant student population. You are encouraged to take advantage of the opportunity to communicate with and engage with many graduate students, both domestic and international. The university provides many resources for graduate students, and the Graduate Student Life area of the Graduate School website can help you find what you need.
As an international graduate student, you may find the following resources of special interest.
- Center for Global Engagement
- CGE is the premiere organization on the UT campus for engaging internationally. CGE can help you get involved, find student organizations and connect you with events to help you feel part of your own culture and to discover others.
- The International House
- The International House aspires to educate and engage all students in order to help them participate as members of a global society.
- Health Insurance
- The Student Health Center can help you with requirements for health insurance and deadlines.
English Language Support
- The English Language Institute
- The mission of the ELI is to offer a sound program of ESL instruction and be a language-learning resource for Tennessee’s non-English speaking public.
- Department of English
- Graduate students are encouraged to register for English 122, Academic English for Graduate Students, particularly if their TOEFL score is less than 100 (or IELTS less than 7.5).
Career and Professional Development
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville has subscribed to the Interstride career portal for students. Interstride is an interactive career platform designed to enhance the career exploration and job-search experience for international students.
- Through a framework of professional socialization and professionalism, networking and relationship building, communication and presentation skills, career development and management, and well-being and personal development, GPSPD provides ways for graduate and professional students to forge their own paths to their future.