Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

Costs & Funding

Funding your graduate education and research can be challenging. You should be aware of estimated costs and tuition, which can differ depending upon your residency classification. The Graduate School can help you find support through fellowships and assistantships, and One Stop Express Student Services can help with student loans.

Graduate School Fellowships

Fellowships are awards that typically require no service. The Graduate School offers many fellowships for students. Most of these fellowships are awarded on the basis of academic merit and potential for scholarship.

Find out about currently offered fellowships from the Graduate School

Graduate Assistantships

Graduate assistantships are the primary source of funding for graduate students at UT and are offered by academic departments and administrative offices of the university. An assistantship is a financial award to a graduate student for part-time work in teaching, administration, or research while pursuing an advanced degree. Appointments are normally on a one-fourth to one-half time basis, usually requiring 10 – 20 hours of service per week (see Graduate Stipends). The annual stipend is payable in either nine or twelve monthly installments. In addition to the stipend, Graduate Teaching Assistants (GTA), Graduate Teaching Associates (GTAssoc), Graduate Assistants (GA), and Graduate Research Assistants (GRA), with appointments on a one-fourth time basis or higher, are entitled to a waiver of maintenance, tuition, mandatory fees, and differential tuition for the period of appointment. These appointments also include a benefit of health insurance for the student.

For graduate assistantships offered by departments, you will wish to contact your department or visit their website. However, there are often graduate assistantships offered by administrative offices around the university. While there is no central point of contact for information on positions in these offices, some positions are filled periodically in college advising centers, admission offices, residence halls, and other service offices. The Graduate School works with these offices to post announcements for these positions to help you locate opportunities that might suit you.

Student Loans

If you are seeking to fund your graduate studies through student loans, One Stop Express Services has links and deadlines for many different student loans. Federal Student Aid, a part of the U.S. Department of Education, is the largest provider of student financial aid in the nation. Your eligibility for a Federal Direct unsubsidized loan is determined by filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If additional funding is necessary, graduate students may apply for a PLUS Loan, which is designed for graduate or professional students for use in helping to pay for education expenses. If you’ve already submitted your FAFSA, you’ll have an FSA ID, which is used for logging in and completing an application.

Funding Outside of UT

The university is not the only source for fellowships or grants. Prospective applicants and current graduate students are encouraged to apply for fellowships or grants from national, international, industrial, or foundation sources. The Graduate School has a list of known funding sources to investigate, and the Office of Research and Engagement offers a list of funding sources in partnership with UT and external funding sources.