Use this form to request reinstatement, following an approved Leave of Absence.
Graduate students who obtained an approved Leave of Absence (LOA) are eligible for reinstatement if all of the following are true:
- Reinstatement is requested for a term/year prior to, but no later than, the term indicated and approved on the LOA request form.
- Reinstatement is for the same major and degree that was on the approved LOA Request form.
- No violations of the Student Conduct Code occurred during the LOA that would have been grounds for suspension or dismissal had the violations occurred while the student was enrolled.
Graduate students who did not obtain an approved LOA in accordance with Graduate School policy prior to interrupting their enrollment (excluding summer) are not eligible for reinstatement. Those students instead must submit a Readmission Application (through the Graduate Admissions Office) to be accepted and readmitted to their program (or a different program) to re-activate their enrollment and student status.
- Confer with your Department Head or Director of Graduate Studies prior to the expiration of your approved LOA to discuss the term/year of your reinstatement, any conditions related to resuming your studies post-LOA, and to obtain their signature(s) of approval.
- Complete Reinstatement Form, filling out all fields.
- Print the form and obtain the appropriate signature(s).
- Submit the completed form to the Graduate School for processing in one of the following ways:
- Scan the signed form and email it to email@example.com.
- Send the form by mail to the Graduate School.
- Deliver the form in person to the Graduate School main office.
- Upon notification of your reinstatement, register for the approved term/year by the University timetable deadline.
- Plan ahead: Initiate the reinstatement process with your Department Head / Director of Graduate Studies at least two months prior to the term/year you wish to return from your approved LOA.
- If you are a dual degree student pursuing two graduate degrees in more than one college, and your leave was approved by both, you will need to request reinstatement from each college.
- Cancelling registrations: An approved LOA does NOT automatically cancel any registrations. If you are enrolled for the term(s) included in the approved LOA, you must cancel your registration(s) and withdraw from UTK. Failure to withdraw from MyUTK will result in billing and assigned grades for the term(s).
- Registration: you must register the term/year for which you are approved for reinstatement. Failure to do so will invalidate your reinstatement; you would then be required to apply for readmission.