Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

Initial Embargo Request

Students with significant concerns related to sensitive or classified information, patents, and potential publishers’ restrictions may request an embargo after the conferral of their degree to delay public release of the thesis or dissertation. The request must be approved by the student’s major advisor and submitted to the Coordinator of Student Services in the Graduate School no later than the  thesis/dissertation submission deadline. The student, in consultation with the major professor, can choose an embargo period of either one, three, or six years. A reason for the embargo must be included in the space provided. All requests must be approved by the Dean of the Graduate School.

Student Instructions

  • Fill out the form, being sure to provide both the title of the thesis/dissertation and the justification for the request, as well as contact information for the major professor.
  • Select an option for the period you would like your thesis/dissertation held from release following the date your degree is conferred (one year, three years, or six years).
  • Obtain your signature and the signatures of the major professor, using either physical signatures (with a pen) or electronic signatures (visit the Graduate School for details on this process). To use electronic signatures, email the file to the major professor, and they will return it to you.
  • Deliver the signed form to the Graduate School at the time you submit your thesis/dissertation approval form. If you use electronic signatures, email the form with all signatures to Otherwise, scan the original, signed form and email it to

Major Professor Instructions

When you receive a form to sign by a student, sign and return it in one of the following ways:

  • If the student sent a file by email that allows you to use electronic signatures, apply your signature (see the Graduate School for details on this process), and email the saved form back to the student.
  • If the student sent a file that does not allow you to use an electronic signature, print it, sign it, scan it, and email it back to the student.
  • If the student brought the form to you personally, simply sign with a pen and return it.

If you are having difficulty getting signatures, please contact the Graduate School at 865-974-2475 (, and we can help find a solution.