Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

600 Continuous Enrollment Exemption

Doctoral students who have started taking course 600 and wish to do an internship/practicum can petition to be exempted from the Continuous Enrollment requirement for up to three terms with maximum of 12 months at any time. The request should describe the nature of the internship/practicum and must include justification that the internship/practicum that is integral to the program.

Approval must be granted first by the student’s advisor, then the Department or the Unit followed by the Graduate School. The two semesters may be separate in time or back-to-back. Students whose petition is approved need not sign up for any course work while doing the internship/practicum except international students must always check with the Center for International Education (CIE) to ensure that they remain compliant with their specific type of visa. The time limit to the degree is not extended as a result of an internship/practicum.


  1. Fill out all fields on the form, being certain to provide a description of the internship or practicum and a justification for the exemption in the appropriate fields. The justification should show how the internship or practicum is integral to your program.
  2. Acquire a letter of support from the internship/practicum site or supervisor to accompany this form. Check the box on the form that indicates that you have this letter.
  3. Print the form and sign where indicated at the bottom of the form.
  4. Get the signature of the Director of Graduate Studies for your program. If you are having difficulty getting an original signature, please contact the Graduate School at 865-974-2475 (gradschool@utk. edu), and we can help find a solution.
  5. Deliver the form to the Graduate school, by mail or by scanning and emailing the form to gradspec@utk.eduNote that this form will not be acceptable if it comes from any email address other than the email account listed on this form.