Submitting the final copy of your thesis or dissertation for partial fulfillment of the requirements of a graduate degree is a multi-part process. For all master’s and doctoral students, the parts of the process are: submitting the final version to Trace in PDF format and delivering a copy of your approval form to the Graduate School. For doctoral students, there is a third part: providing the certificate of completion of the Survey of Earned Doctorates.
Submitting to Trace
Once a thesis or dissertation has been approved and all of the formatting has been done, it remains to submit the final work to Trace, the Tennessee Research and Creative Exchange digital repository at the University of Tennessee. Trace provides long-term access and preservation services for the intellectual and creative output of the university’s academic, research, and administrative communities. The growing collection of official copies of theses and dissertations accepted by the Graduate School make up one of the largest collections in Trace.
Students are also required to upload their drafts to Trace in order for the thesis/dissertation consultant to review formatting before the defense. Contact the thesis/dissertation consultant for more information.
Before submitting your work, be sure to check the formatting requirements to avoid having to resubmit because of errors.
The steps are as follows:
- Go to the Trace homepage.
- Select “Submit Items to Trace” from the left navigation bar
- Scroll down to “Graduate School” and select either Doctoral Dissertations or Master’s Thesis.
- Enter your NetID and password into the login form. Once you are logged in, read the instructions and click on the agreement box at the bottom of the page.
- After selecting the agreement box, you will be provided with a form to provide details for your work. Be prepared to provide a title, author, date awarded and degree type (thesis or dissertation). Other information can also be filled out, including an abstract, your committee, major professor, etc.
- You may upload your work (in PDF format) using the form fields at the bottom of the form and select “Submit” to finalize your submission.
- Once your work has been submitted, contact the Thesis/Dissertation Consultant, advising them that your work has been submitted for review.
Delivering the Approval Form
The approval form should either be hand-delivered directly to the thesis/dissertation consultant; or, if previously discussed with the thesis/dissertation consultant, sent via UPS, USPS, or FedEx. FedEx and UPS are preferred over USPS, as FedEX and UPS will deliver straight to the Graduate School office.
Be sure that the approval form has original signatures from your committee. This form cannot be faxed, emailed, scanned, or photocopied.
The deadline for submitting your approval form is not a “postmarked by” date. The approval form must reach the thesis/dissertation consultant before 5:00 pm on that deadline. It is your responsibility to get the approval form to the consultant, even if you do not currently live in Knoxville.
Survey of Earned Doctorates
Once you have taken the Survey of Earned Doctorates, you will receive a certificate by e-mail. Be certain to e-mail this certificate to the thesis/dissertation consultant as soon as you get it. Do not print the form and deliver it in person to the consultant.