The UT Ombuds office is celebrating the 6th annual International Ombuds Day event with an all-day slate of virtual learning opportunities on October 12. Join us to explore ways that UT Ombuds empower graduate students, staff, and faculty to constructively navigate challenges relating to their experiences here at UT. We hope to see you there!
Getting Unstuck: Intro to Ombuds Services
In this interactive session, participants will be introduced to a range of free services from the Office of Ombuds Services, their perspectives on conflict as a tool for innovation, and their key approaches to navigating challenging situations.
Discussions on Supporting Change: 2024 Ombuds Data Showcase
In this interactive session, you will learn about UT Ombuds work during 2022-23 (FY23) via findings from their FY23 annual report. They will present the ombuds FY23 recommendations for our UT campus community and then facilitate small group discussions & brainstorming on how we can each support transformation of our community’s approach to conflict and difficult conversations.
The Empowered Workplace: Clearly Communicating Expectations
During this virtual session participants will:
- explore a continuum of communication styles;
- discuss the benefits of assertive communication;
- examine common barriers to communicating assertively;
- share specific verbal and non-verbal strategies for communicating clearly, respectfully, and assertively.
The goal is to empower you to honestly communicate what you think, feel, and want in a way that honors dignity and contributes to psychological safety.
Working Together in Psychological Safety: Discussions on Belonging
In this virtual session, you will:
- discuss the importance of psychological safety in open and honest workplace communication,
- take steps to self-assess your own psych safety needs, and
- learn strategies to engage in respectful dialogue with peers about increasing psych safety in the workplace
This interactive workshop includes self-reflection, breakout discussion, and action planning activities.