This form is to be used by graduate students to request more time to complete a degree than that specified by academic policy.
The following are the standard time limits, as specified in the Graduate Catalog.
Candidates have six calendar years to complete the degree, starting at the beginning of the semester of the first course counted toward the degree. Students who change degree programs during this six-year period may be granted an extension after review and approval by the Dean of the Graduate School. In any event, courses used toward a master’s degree must have been taken within six calendar years of graduation.
Specialist in Education Degrees
Candidates have six calendar years from the time of entry into the last 30 hours of their degree programs to complete the Specialist in Education degree.
Comprehensive examinations must be taken within five years, and all requirements must be completed within eight years, from the time of a student’s first enrollment in a doctoral degree program.
- With guidance from your advisor and in compliance with graduate school deadlines, work with your advisor to create a structured plan of study for the completion of your degree, including objectives, timeline, and target dates.
- Fill out all fields on the form.
- Attach the document(s) for your plan of study to the appropriate field. You may attach up to five documents
- Be sure to provide the NetID of the Director of Graduate Studies for your program (not their email address).
- Select Next to sign the form electronically. After signing, the form will be forwarded to your Director of Graduate Studies for approval.
- If your Director of Graduate Studies endorses your request, they will send it to the Graduate School.