Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

Request for Concurrent Master’s Degree

This form is only available for PhD students who intend to remain active in the PhD degree program and complete the master’s degree along the way to the PhD. Other graduate students whose intent is to leave the PhD program must not use this form but should apply for change of program in the Office of Graduate Admissions.

Download the Form

Instructions for Student

  1. Fill out all fields on the form in the Student section.
  2. Be certain to type your name under Submitted By in order to acknowledge that you believe yourself eligible and that all the information you have provided is true.
  3. If you are an international student, be certain to indicate that you have a visa and provide the type.
  4. Save the form and email it to your PhD department’s Director of Graduate Studies, and the DGS for the master’s program (if you are applying to a master’s program in a different department from your PhD).
  5. If your Director of Graduate Studies endorses your request, they will send it to the Graduate School.
  6. If the master’s program is not in the same department as your PhD, permission is required from both departments.

Instructions for Director of Graduate Studies

  1. Review the information on the form provided by the student.
  2. If you endorse the request, please check the box indicating your acknowledgement and endorsement and fill out the rest of the form under Director of Graduate Studies.
  3. After saving the form, email the form to the Graduate School specialists at with the subject of “Submission Request for Concurrent Master’s Degree Form”. Note that this form will not be acceptable if it comes from any email address other than your UT email account.