The nominees for the Jimmy and Ileen Cheek Graduate Student Medal of Excellence were honored at a reception on April 10 at the Frieson Black Cultural Center. On hand to recognize the nominees were Dixie L. Thompson, Vice Provost and Dean of the Graduate School, along with Jimmy and Ileen Cheek.
The Jimmy and Ileen Cheek Graduate Student Medal of Excellence is awarded annually to an outstanding graduate student currently enrolled at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. The award is given to a student pursuing a PhD and has completed at least four semesters of study. The applications were reviewed according to the following criteria:
- high academic potential and achievement
- leadership and community involvement (campus or local community)
- commitment to and passion for the chosen field of study
- personal sacrifice for his/her education
- effort above and beyond the call of duty
The recipient of the award will receive a medal and a monetary award at the 2019 Chancellor’s Honors Banquet.