This form is to be used by graduate students to request more time to complete a degree than that specified by academic policy. The following are the standard time limits for graduate degrees, as specified in the Graduate Catalog.
The following are the standard time limits, excerpted from the Graduate Catalog.
Candidates have six calendar years to complete the degree, starting at the beginning of the semester of the first course counted toward the degree. Students who change degree programs during this six-year period may be granted an extension after review and approval by the Dean of the Graduate School. In any event, courses used toward a master’s degree must have been taken within six calendar years of graduation.
Specialist in Education Degrees
Candidates have six calendar years from the time of entry into the last 30 hours of their degree programs to complete the Specialist in Education degree.
Comprehensive examinations must be taken within five years, and all requirements must be completed within eight years, from the time of a student’s first enrollment in a doctoral degree program.
Instructions for Student
- With guidance from your advisor and in compliance with graduate school deadlines, work with your advisor to create a structured plan of study for the completion of your degree, including objectives, timeline, and target dates.
- Fill out all fields on the form in the Student section.
- Be certain to type your name under Submitted By in order to acknowlege that you believe yourself eligible and that all the information you have provided is true.
- Save the form and e-mail it to your department’s Director of Graduate Studies, along with your structured plan of study.
- If your Director of Graduate Studies endorses your request, they will send it to the Graduate School.
Instructions for Director of Graduate Studies
- Review the information on the form provided by the student.
- If you endorse the request, please check the box indicating your acknowledgement and endorsement and fill out the rest of the form under Director of Graduate Studies.
- After saving the form, email the form and plan of study to the Graduate School specialists at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject of “Submission Request for Time Extension Form”. Note that this form will not be acceptable if it comes from any email address other than your UT email account.