In order to provide appropriate security measures and a consistent policy for events at Thompson-Boling Arena, the University of Tennessee will institute the same security protocols for the Graduate Hooding Ceremony that are currently in place for all Athletic events. These measures will likely increase time necessary to enter the event, so please take that into account when figuring your arrival time.
Walk-through metal detectors are now in place and operational at all arena entrances. Here’s what you’ll be expected to do before going through the detectors:
Remove these items from pockets:
- Other large metal objects
These Items May Remain On-Person or in Pockets:
All bags will still be checked in addition to the metal detectors, and all bags are subject to the Clear Bag Policy (see below).
Clear Bag Policy
This policy will limit patrons to one clear plastic bag no larger than 12 inches by 6 inches by 12 inches or a one-gallon, clear, resealable plastic storage bag per person. Patrons will also be allowed a small clutch purse not to exceed 4.5 inches by 6.5 inches.
No other bags will be allowed inside Thompson-Boling Arena. All items, including clear bags and clutch purses, are subject to search at the gates. No items can be left or stored at the gates.
Participants should keep in mind that there will be no place to secure personal items at the ceremony, so only essential items should be brought to the event.
For additional questions please contact the Arena Management Office at 865-974-0953.
This page is merely a basic guide. To get the full official list of prohibited items, check the Clear Bag Policy page at Thompson Boling.
The University of Tennessee reserves the right to examine the contents of any container brought into the Arena. To protect the safety of our patrons, performers and staff, the following items are prohibited. Please do not attempt to bring these or similar articles in the Arena. Items will not be stored at the gate or Arena for pickup after the event.
- Non-clear bags of any size
- Diaper bags
- Backpacks (of any size)
- Alcoholic beverages
- Cans, bottles, coolers
- Outside food, snacks, beverages
- Radios without headsets
- Open umbrellas
- Selfie sticks
- Video cameras
- Professional cameras or cameras with detachable lenses
- Unmanned aircraft
- Large bags or parcels, including backpacks and purses
- Weapons, including pocket knives
- Artificial noisemakers
- Smoking — including e-cigarettes — is prohibited in Thompson-Boling Arena at all times
The following items are permitted inside Thompson-Boling Arena:
- Small clutch purses no larger than 4.5 inches by 6.5 inches
- Mobile phones
- Binoculars (without case)
- Radios with headsets
- Diapers and non-medically neccesary items for babies and young children must be carried in a clear bag
- Medically necessary items that must be carried in a specific bag must be checked and approved at Gates C or D
- Limited use of cameras. This may change from event to event, at the direction of the performers and their management.