As we begin the slow and measured return to campus activity, more people are going to be coming to campus to work starting on May 11 (see the university’s return-to-work plan). This includes some graduate students. Please note that only those graduate student employees who have been notified by their supervisors that they are part of the exception plans for working on campus should return during Phase 1. Most graduate students and other employees will continue to work remotely during Phase 1.
As noted in the guidance for supervisors, all employees, including graduate student employees, must self-screen before coming to work and confirm to their supervisors that they are clear to be on campus. Everyone must perform a self-check for COVID-19 symptoms daily before coming to campus. Graduate students are responsible for confirming with supervisors that all their answers to the below questions are “no” before reporting to work. Please confirm to your supervisor the completion of your self-check using your preferred method of communication (screening app, email, text, or phone call).
Although various approaches may be used to communicate with your supervisor, the preferred method of communicating your answers is through a self-screening app (selfscreen.utk.edu) developed by the Office of Information Technology. You can log in and submit your responses to the daily health check questions. Your supervisor will be notified automatically. If the person who is your daily supervisor is not listed on your health screen form, please enter that person’s email address under the section labeled “(Optional) Additional Email Address.” Specific answers to your health questions are not needed; you must simple reply yes or no. You should stay away from campus if the answer is “yes” to one or more questions. These self-screening questions are subject to change based on health department guidelines, but for now the questions are:
- Have you been told to quarantine/isolate by a medical provider or the health department?
- In the last 14 days, have you had face-to-face contact for 10 minutes or more with someone who has or is suspected of having COVID-19 or traveled to a location with a CDC COVID-19 warning?
- Are you experiencing a new cough, shortness of breath, or difficulty breathing?
- Have you had at least two of the following new symptoms: Fever, Chills, Repeated shaking chills, Muscle pain, Headache, Sore throat, Vomiting, Diarrhea or Loss of taste or smell in the last 48 hours?
- Was your temperature 100.4 or above this morning?
When you do return to campus, it is imperative that you practice social distancing and good hygiene. You should limit your contact with others and the spaces you visit on campus to only those necessary to complete your job functions. See www.utk.edu/coronavirus for more information and to answer questions that you may have.
Following these guidelines is essential for us to have a safe return to campus.