It is important that your uploaded transcripts are legible, to avoid delays in the processing of your application. Transcripts that are not legible will not be accepted. The following tips can help you successfully scan and upload your transcripts. Remember that these tips only refer to transcripts you are scanning and uploading to the application portal.
- Please obtain current copies of your transcripts and scan at the lowest dpi that results in a legible document (we recommend to use under 200 dpi whenever possible).
- You must ensure that the institution name and other identifying marks are not missed during the scanning process and that your scanned copy is clearly legible and can print on letter size paper (8 ½” x 11”).
- You must ensure that you also include the transcript legend (back page in most cases).
- You will want to be certain that your document is saved as a PDF file and that its size is less than 10mb. Scanning in “gray scale” or black and white may produce the best results.
- If the scan is too large then you may want to make a photocopy first (experiment with different settings until you find one that results in the smallest file size) then scan the photocopy.
- Only PDF documents may be uploaded. Be sure to create your PDFs before you begin the online application.
- You should redact (mark out) the Social Security Number (SSN) anywhere it appears on your transcript before creating the PDF and uploading it. Do not mark or alter your transcript other than redacting the SSN.
- You should create and upload a PDF of the transcript issued to you by the registrar at your institution. If the transcript is issued to you in a sealed envelope, it is acceptable for you to open it for the purpose of uploading.
- Make one PDF for each institution listed on the upload site, even if it includes multiple pages, translations, a legend, degree certificate, or diploma. Please keep your transcript pages in order. You will be allowed to upload only one PDF for each transcript on the pull-down menu at the upload website.
- Please do not upload a syllabus or any extraneous documents with your transcript PDF.
- Preview your PDF for image quality to ensure that the document is complete and readable prior to and after uploading. Click the “view document” button to verify whether the uploaded document is legible.
- If you need assistance, please note that public libraries, office supply stores (Kinko’s, Office Max, Office Depot, Staples, etc.) and other services can create scanned documents for you.
If you are unable to upload a legible document, you will need to have an official transcript mailed to the Graduate School Admissions Office. Please keep in mind that doing this will delay processing of your application.