The UT Faculty Senate seeks a 12-month Graduate Research Assistant (GRA) for the 2022–2023 academic year. The GRA will work with Faculty Senate Incoming President, Elisabeth Schussler (Professor, Ecology and Evolutionary Biology), to advance initiatives relevant to the Senate and teaching practices at UT, and provide general assistance to Faculty Senate organization and meetings. This may include:
- reviewing Department By-Laws to analyze how teaching is evaluated for faculty (tenure and non-tenure track)
- talking with faculty and Department Heads about teaching evaluation procedures
- acquiring and compiling data needed for Faculty Senate efforts
- surveying faculty about issues of concern
The GRA will also work with the UT Faculty Senate Administrative Assistant, Loretta Link, to plan and run Faculty Senate and Executive Council meetings, assist with Faculty Senate elections in the spring, and other duties as needed. The position is 50% FTE, or 20 hours per week. A work space will be available in the Senate offices in Dunford Hall.
The person hired into this position must be a current graduate student in any department at UT with a planned graduation date after June 2023. Strong applicants will have the following traits:
- attention to detail and deadlines
- ability to take initiative
- skills in data collection and analysis
- comfort working in excel (and with computers and software programs in general)
- ability to balance multiple tasks at once
- excellent oral and written communication skills
- proficiency in interpersonal relationships, especially with faculty
An ideal candidate will have additional experience with qualitative data collection, survey design and data science, as well as interest and experience in education research.
An application will consist of a cover letter stating experiences related to the desired position, why the position would be of interest to you, how it would build skills toward your professional goals, as well as a resume or CV with the names of two references associated with UT.
Applications should be sent as one PDF packet to Loretta Link (firstname.lastname@example.org). Review of applications will begin May 16, with an anticipated start date of August 1, 2022.
Questions about the position can be sent to Senate President-Elect Beth Schussler, email@example.com.