On Wednesday, April 7, the Graduate School hosted the 2021 Three Minute Thesis Watch Party and Awards Ceremony. During this event, participants had the opportunity to view the submitted video presentations of this year’s 3MT competitors. Following the presentations and a Q&A with the audience, Dixie L. Thompson, Vice Provost and Dean of the Graduate School, announced the winners for 2021.
First place was awarded to Erin Mans, from the College of Arts and Sciences, for her work in the Goodrich-Blair Lab on understanding the nature of the communication between our gut microbiome and our brain.
Matt Baucum, from the Tickle College of Arts and Sciences, was awarded second place for his presentation on using a machine language algorithm to analyze existing medical treatment data to improve outcomes for current and future patients.
Armando Anzellini, from the College of Arts and Sciences, took third place for his presentation on his work on a spectrum chemical method to non-destructively identify victims of disastrous events.
During the Q&A, the audience was allowed to vote for their favorites in our first ever People’s Choice Award category. After a close competition, Jessica Kotik, from the College of Education, Health and Human Sciences was chosen as our 2021 People’s Choice Award winner for her presentation on her work to improve online student success among students with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
The Graduate School wishes to congratulate these winners and express our appreciation for the work by all of our competitors. These presenters have once again proven that graduate students at UT are engaged in some of the most important and valuable work around.
View the presentations:
- Lola Akinnodi – College of Nursing
- Cayce Anthony – College of Architecture and Design
- Armando Anzellini – College of Arts and Sciences
- Matt Baucum – Tickle College of Engineering
- Alex Carter – College of Communication and Information
- Elise Chapline – College of Social Work
- Patrick Hall – Tickle College of Engineering
- Jessica Kotik – College of Education, Health and Human Sciences
- Erin Mans – College of Arts and Sciences
- Jennifer Obenshain – College of Social Work
- Katie Peterson – Herbert College of Agriculture
- Ashley Reeves – College of Veterinary Medicine
- Miranda Rutan – College of Education, Health and Human Sciences
- Thomas Shelton – College of Nursing
- Wesley Siniard – College of Veterinary Medicine
- Jason Stamm – College of Communication and Information
- Ana Towe – College of Veterinary Medicine