In case you haven’t heard, April 1–6 is GPSAW, or Graduate and Professional Student Appreciation Week. Campus units and student organizations have been setting up events to celebrate our graduate and professional students.
Thirty-two graduate and professional students participated in the semi-finals of our Three Minute Thesis competition, where they are given three minutes and a single slide to talk about their thesis and dissertation work to a panel of judges. This is a tough competition, and we encourage everyone to join us in the Student Union Ballroom (room 272) on April 3 at 1:30 to watch the twelve finalists show you the great work they’re doing.
The Graduate Student Senate is heavily involved in planning events for graduate and professional students during this week. They would like to invite graduate and professional students to Trivia Night at Pelancho’s Mexican Grill on Monday night. The Graduate Student Senate is also sponsoring BBQ in the Park on Wednesday, where graduate and professional students can get a free lunch at Circle Park. They are also hosting an Awards Ceremony & Breakfast on Friday, April 5, where many students, faculty and staff will receive awards bestowed upon them by the graduate and professional students.
And there’s a lot more for our graduate and professional students, including:
- free professional portrait photo shoots and massages from the UT Libraries
- a Vols Baseball game (reserve tickets at tiny.utk.edu/gpsaw-baseball)
- teaching workshops and an ice cream social from Teaching and Learning Innovation
- a workshop on stress from the Multicultural Graduate Student Organization
- opportunities to visit the HABIT dogs at the Veterans Resource Center
- Milkshake Monday at Steak ‘n’ Shake from the Office of the Dean of Students
And it keeps on going over the weekend with a Professional Development Summit for graduate and professional students hosted by the Center for Career Development. This week is also a good opportunity for students to take advantage of Lunch Hours to take their favorite faculty or staff member to lunch on the Dean of Students!