The Boren Awards support undergraduate and graduate students with scholarships of up to $30,000 for study abroad in world regions underrepresented in study abroad, including Africa, Asia, Central and Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Latin America, and the Middle East. (Western Europe, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand are excluded.) The current Boren application cycle will fund study abroad plans that fall between 6/1/2018 – 6/1/2019. UT Boren applicants are strongly encouraged to work through the Office of National Scholarships & Fellowships (ONSF).
Deadlines to apply for the Boren are as follows:
- December 4: UT Campus Pre-Application Deadline. This is a brief internal interest form to get students started with the application process.
- January 12: UT Campus Deadline. Applicants must complete a full draft of their Boren application materials, which will be reviewed by ONSF.
- January 30: Boren Fellowship (for graduate students) final national deadline, including letters of recommendation.
The Boren offers a range of special initiatives, including for STEM and ROTC students, as well as for those students interested in starting/continuing South Asian, Indonesian, or African language study. The Boren website has a host of resources on selecting study programs and developing strong applications, including the following upcoming webinars on competitive Boren essays:
- Boren Scholarships Applicants: Register for the Thursday November 21st session from 4:00 PM – 5:00 PM EST
- Boren Fellowships Applicants: Register for the Tuesday, November 21st session from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM EST
ONSF is available to assist Boren applicants throughout the process and can be reached at email@example.com.