Fall Graduate Student Orientations

Orientation2-01This post is for fall 2016. Get information about the newest orientations. Incoming graduate students should be prepared to attend the New Graduate Student Orientation at Thompson-Boling Arena on Aug. 9, 2016 from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. For new Graduate Teaching Assistants, there is also a New GTA Orientation scheduled for Aug. 11, 2016 from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. in the same location. You may register for the New Graduate Student Orientation at: tiny.utk.edu/orientation-2016. In order for us to plan appropriately, registration is now closed. Your department will have already registered you for the New GTA Orientation if you are a new Graduate Teaching Assistant or Graduate Teaching Associate.

14 thoughts on “Fall Graduate Student Orientations

1. Good afternoon, I sent my transcript and because I was a student here for undergraduate, I already have a netID and password. Online, it says to contact my program to figure out what I do next. I’m not in a program yet, I’m reapplying later this fall. Do I just show up to UT on August 9th?

1. Hello! If you’re not enrolled for fall 2016, you won’t need to attend the new graduate student orientation in August.

2. Hi! I am ready to pursue my Master’s in Curriculum & Instruction. I will need to do so through the online program. Is the Aug. 9th meeting imperative? It is our first day back to school and my Student Council and I will be busy directing students where they need to go and with my own classes.

Thanks!!

1. Hello! The August 9th orientation is entirely voluntary. It can be a very useful overview of life as a graduate student at UT. But, if you’re unable to make it, that’s understandable. Welcome to UT!

3. Hello! For those of us that can’t make the Aug. 9th New Graduate Student Orientation, is there any type of make-up session?

1. We do not have any make-up sessions scheduled for the orientation. If you are unable to make it, you may want to contact your department to see what orientations they may have available. Also, the Graduate School website has a number of resources for new and current graduate students. You may want to check out the Graduate Student Life area as a good starting point.

4. Hello,
    I am looking for information on the upcoming grad student orientation (i.e. location, registration, etc.)
    Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

1. Thanks for asking! I’ve updated the post to reflect location and registration for the New Graduate Student Orientation.

5. Hello,

I am a new graduate student and I will be attending the orientation. I purchased a parking pass for the upcoming academic year, which I believe becomes valid starting August 15. Since orientation occurs before the parking pass is valid, is there parking available for those attending the orientation or will we be expected to park in paid public parking?

Kind Regards,

-Rachel

1. Parking for the orientation will be available to participants in the G10 parking garage, near Thompson Boling Arena. Participants are asked to use the Philip Fulmer entrance to G-10, to ensure that they are not charged for their parking. An e-mail will be sent on Friday with further details regarding parking at the event.

6. Hello! I wasn’t aware I had to register for the orientation tomorrow, and the link does not seem to be working. Can I still register or is it okay to go tomorrow even though I have not registered? Thank you!

1. I’m afraid that in order for us to be able to plan appropriately, the registration for orientation has closed.