Skip to Main Content

The University of Tennessee

Graduate School

Frequently Used Tools:

Graduation Information for Graduate Students

For specific degree requirements, consult individual program descriptions in the Graduate Catalog. A student planning to graduate must submit forms to the Graduate School, the first forms due in the semester prior to graduation.

Related to graduation is the graduate hooding ceremonies held in fall and spring terms. This ceremony is administered by the Graduate School. There is no ceremony in summer term. Summer graduates may participate in the fall graduate hooding ceremony. Master's students graduating in summer term may participate in the spring ceremony. PhD candidates participate in the graduate hooding ceremony after completion of all degree requirements.

Diplomas and Degree Awards on Transcripts

The Registrar’s Office mails all diplomas once all degrees have been confirmed. The degrees are conferred no earlier than a week or two weeks following the commencement date for all university students. See the Registrar’s web page for information on dates in the “Key Dates Calendar” at

In order to receive your diploma, it is very important that your permanent mailing address in MyUTK is correct. The last day to change your address in MyUTK is the official date of Graduation of each semester. You may select an address different from your permanent address to receive your diploma by providing the information when you apply to graduate on MyUTK. If your mailing address changes after the official date of Graduation, there is a chance you will not receive your diploma. If you do not receive your diploma, there is an additional cost of $25.00 to reorder your diploma. You can verify your name and address of record at MyUTK or by visiting the Office of the University Registrar at 209 Student Services Building.

If either your address or name changes after you have applied for graduation, be sure to contact the Graduation Office in the Registrar’s Office as well as change your record with the University.

Transcripts will contain the information on the awarded degree at the date in the “Key Dates Calendar” on the Registrar’s web page for conferral of degrees. If you find any problems with the information about the awarded degree on the transcript, contact the Graduate School at or directly contact your graduation specialist.