Tips for Graduation
- Plan to attend the GRADUATION WORKSHOP held every term by Graduate School. Find dates for Workshops.
- CHECK DEADLINE DATES for specific information on graduating. Please note the deadline for ordering cap, gown and hood.
- SUBMIT A PASS/FAIL FORM so that you can be cleared for graduation. Doctoral students submit the Pass/Fail for Defense of Dissertation. Thesis students submit the Pass/Fail for Defense of Thesis. Non-Thesis students submit the Pass/Fail for Results of the Comprehensive Examination. Check with your department on making sure that this form is processed correctly. Make sure that the signatures on the Pass/Fail Form match exactly the signatures of your committee on the admission to candidacy.
- IF YOU decide not to graduate in that term, contact Graduation Specialist as soon as possible. Your graduation processing needs to be stopped. You must then submit a NEW graduation application for the term in which you expect to complete degree requirements.
- LOOK FOR EMAIL MESSAGES from Graduation Specialist concerning whether you are on track to graduate or if there are problems related to degree requirements.
- LOOK AT YOUR ACADEMIC HISTORY and make sure that you don’t have any “NR” grades or “I” grades. You will not be allowed to graduate with those grades on your academic history.
- SUBMIT A REVISION TO THE ADMISSION TO CANDIDACY if you have changed your registration for the current semester and your courses no longer match what you listed on the admission to candidacy.
- MAKE SURE THAT ALL MEMBERS OF YOUR COMMITTEE will attend your defense of dissertation/thesis.
- SUBMIT the Scheduling of Dissertation Defense form no later than ONE WEEK PRIOR to the date of the defense of dissertation (doctoral students only). (Thesis students must schedule the thesis defense through the department office at least two weeks prior to the date of the defense.)
- MEET WITH THESIS/DISSERTATION CONSULTANT for preliminary review.
- CHECK YOUR PERMANENT ADDRESS on MyUTK. This is where your diploma will be mailed after degrees are awarded and posted on transcripts. Doctoral students may pick up their diplomas at Graduate Hooding.
Those are important points about graduation. We hope that you are planning on joining us in the celebration for graduates called Graduate Hooding. Graduate Hooding Ceremony is held in Spring and Fall terms. The Graduate Hooding Ceremony for Fall 2010 will be held on Friday, December 10, 2010 at 4:30 p.m. in Thompson-Boling Arena.
Best wishes from the Graduation Staff!
Important Graduation Links
- Graduate Student Deadline Dates for Graduation
- Forms for Graduate Students
- Graduate Catalog